Audi Touch Up Paint
Find Audi paint by clicking the year or model.
Find Your Audi Color and Audi Paint Code
Audi codes can be difficult to find. Most Audi color codes are going to be somewhere around the spare tire area. They are printed on a paper color id tag which is guaranteed to fall off and disappear just when you need to find it. I don't know how much extra a metal plate affixed to the driver door jamb would have cost, but apparently too much.
Audi Color Id Tag Location:
Picture of an Audi Color ID Tag:
Where to Find Your Audi Color Code on the Color ID Tag:
Typical Audi color code format
The color code above is actually two different color codes, LY9H and P1 which can be used. Typically most Audi's have the LY9H/ but occasionally we see the P1. Why did they do this? Who knows!
LY9H corresponds to Polar White Clearcoat Again, the P1 is also used on some Audi's for the same color. Really old Audi can be nearly impossible to figure out. Plus, they are discontinuing some of these toner colors so custom matching is the way to go.
Same Color Code, Different Name
Audi, like all manufacturers, uses the exact same color across many models and then will have a different color name for each model. It's the same paint! This is why the color code is so important to order the correct paint.
For example, LY9H above we call White Clearcoat It could also be called Moonstone Clearcoat, etc. depending on what the marketing department decided to call it.
Audi Touch Up Paint Tips, Suggestions and Tricks
Please read through the following list of Audi touch up paint tips for best car paint repair results.
- The pints, quarts and gallons of basecoat, midcoat, clear and primer are ready to spray and do not require thinning.
- If you get paint on your skin, remove with paint thinner and wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- Do not try to use the paint pen on areas larger than a pencil eraser. Larger areas must be sprayed.
- Paint can easily leak out of the paint pen if you do not use it correctly!
- Do not try to brush areas larger than a dime. Larger areas must be sprayed.
- Use an approved automotive paint respirator and WEAR safety goggles and gloves when handling automotive paint to protect your eyes and skin!! Please read the information below for best results.
- When spraying, always test for paint compatibility. Paint an inconspicuous part of the vehicle, let dry and see if there is any reaction.
- Do not spray our paint over enamel paint that is less than two years old.
- Do not spray primer, paint or clearcoat in direct sunlight!
- First time? Did you know you can completely remove any new paint with automotive lacquer thinner and start over without damaging the original finish?
- Make sure you use SEM Adhesion Promoter if you are spraying a non-metal surface. Failure to do so will result in the paint peeling off within a few months!
How To Repair Damaged Audi Paint With Audi Touch Up Paint
By following these Audi paint repair directions, you can make your Audi paint shine again! For more detailed instructions, including how to use Audi spray paint, see our Directions for How To Apply Touch Up Paint.
1. Prepare Your Audi for Touch Up Paint
Make sure the temperature is over 50 degrees F, then wash the damaged paint on your Audi with soap and water. Use a wax and grease remover on the area. Placing masking tape around your scratched Audi paint will help protect the surrounding auto paint.
2. Repair Rusted Areas Before Applying Audi Touch Up Paint
Remove all traces of rust from your Audi with 220 grit sandpaper or a wire brush. Then use rust converter and apply it to the rusted area of your Audi.
3. Apply Primer Before Painting Your Audi
If you have an unpainted surface on your Audi, like bare metal or plastic, apply primer before Audi touch up paint! Apply several thin coats of primer to the Audi paint you are going to repair. Only apply a small amount of primer to your Audi at time. Let the primer dry, overnight if possible, before applying the Audi touch up paint. Once dry, lightly sand the primed Audi paint area with #220 grit sandpaper followed by #600 wet and dry sandpaper.
4. How to Apply Audi Touch Up Paint
You are now ready to apply Audi touch up paint to your car. Apply several thin coats of Audi touch up paint to build up the damaged paint area to the same depth as the surrounding surface. Let the Audi paint dry for ten to twenty minutes between coats. After the final coat, let the paint dry thoroughly before applying a clearcoat layer. Usually if you let the Audi paint dry overnight, it will be dry. If temperatures are below 70 degrees F, allow additional time for the Audi touch up paint to dry.
5. Protect Repaired Audi Paint with Clearcoat
Make sure the Audi touch up paint you applied earlier is dry. Apply several thin coats of clearcoat over the touched up Audi paint, drying for ten to twenty minutes between each coat. Let the clearcoat dry overnight, or longer if temperatures are less than 70 degrees F.
6. Use Rubbing Compound to Make Your Audi Paint Shine
Rubbing compound will help your Audi touch up paint repair become smooth and shiny like the original paint. Let the clearcoat dry for at least three days, then use rubbing compound on your Audi. Apply rubbing compound to your Audi paint with a clean, soft cloth like an old tee shirt, but not wood products like paper towels. Place a small quantity of rubbing compound on the area where you applied Audi touch up paint. Use circular strokes while applying even pressure to the surface. Buff with a clean cloth to a high gloss. For best Audi touch up paint results, let your Audi's finish dry for thirty days and then apply a good quality automotive wax.
Audi Touch Up Paint Pens, Spray Paint, and Other Audi Paint Products
Once you are ready to repair your Audi with touch up paint, you need to decide which Audi paint repair products to order. Audi touch up paint pens are great for small and quick Audi paint jobs, while Audi spray paint is better for repairing larger areas. 2 oz. Audi basecoat paint bottles work well if you have many Audi paint chips to fix. You can find more information about which Audi touch up paint products to order here.