Home Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Forum Login
Username: Register
Password:     Forgot Password

  PaintScratch Touch Up Paint    General Boards    Clearcoats  ›  Understanding Clear Coat
0 Members Browsing (1 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Understanding Clear Coat  (currently 1 views)
Posted on: June 25th, 2006, 7:25pm Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Posts: 1

I've just purchased PaintScratch's touch-up pen (primer, paint and clear coat) and will soon be addressing a few blemishes on my car.  I have two varietes of spots:

  • Small stone chips about 1/16" or less.  I can catch my finger nail on them and the exposed coloration below is whiteish.  I am assuming that the clear coat is corrupted and I will need to prime, pain and clear coat. 

  • The other spot is an area that was probably scratched by a car key, I don't know.  The scratch was about 3 inches long and varied in depth.  I was able to manually remove 80% of the scratch with Maguiar's fine cut polish.  After several attempts, I graduated to a medium cut polish.  I applied this maually (finger tip) as with the fine cut.  In retrospect, this probably was not the best thing to do because now the remaining 20% of the scratch has flattened out and widened.  The spot is about 1/2" long and 1/4" or less wide.  It is colored whiteish or grayish.

I'm not sure what I am looking at when I see the white/gray.

My questions ---

What is the likely condition of the clear coat for both of these? 

Is ther a way, a standard test, to tell if the clear coat has been damaged? 

Is there a way to tell if there is a base coat of paint beneath the whiteish/grayish spots?

Does a chip tell me that I definitely need to repaint?

I'm asking these because of the way clear coats have been described - or the way I understand them.  For instance, a scratch in the clear coat apparently disrupts its mirroring (shine) so that the human eye sees a "white" scratch instead of the paint below. 

Thanks for any help you have.

e-mail Private Message
Posted on: June 27th, 2006, 5:25pm Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Posts: 326
Most often if the clearcoat is damaged it is best to also repaint the underlying basecoat.

Please see: https://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up-paint-directions/
e-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 1
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread New Poll PaintScratch Touch Up Paint    Clearcoats  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Quick Reply

Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post polls
You may not post attachments
HTML is off
Blah Code is on
Smilies are on

Over 100,000 touch up paint colors available - order yours now!

Acura Touch Up Paint Audi Touch Up Paint BMW Touch Up Paint Chevrolet Touch Up Paint
Dodge Touch Up Paint Ford Touch Up Paint Honda Touch Up Paint Hyundai Touch Up Paint
Jeep Touch Up Paint Lexus Touch Up Paint Mazda Touch Up Paint Mercedes Touch Up Paint
Nissan Touch Up Paint Subaru Touch Up Paint Toyota Touch Up Paint Volkswagen Touch Up Paint

Order car touch up paint for all other Makes and Models

Help Center | ©1999- PaintScratch.com | Privacy

PaintScratch.com (A Division of Bio Pac, Inc.) - 770 Mays Blvd STE 1 #5288, Incline Village, NV 89450